Monday, March 8, 2010

Paging Mr Alston

Updated at the end of the post

Dear Rafer, where are you? Playing street ball again? I was flabbergasted when I read that Miami's point guard got suspended because he got angry for not starting, and essentially disappeared from the team. You're telling me that a NBA professional who gets paid about $500k a year now only communicates to his employers via text messaging? Who does he think he is, Anna Kendrick from Up in the Air?

Look, I am a big fan of Rafer Alston. He's got one of the storied NBA paths, coming from community college, and streetballing himself into the pros. I loved him in Houston and I thought last year he performed admirably as starting point guard for the Orlando Magic (until coach Stan Van Gundy inexplicably shook up the roles during the FINALS?!?). This year he lands in Miami, playing along Wade, in a team that could use some skill and veteran leadership. And now he pulls this stunt?

I don't know the situation. I don't know if Alston got shafted and disrespected. Still, he's living the dream, playing basketball at the highest level, for a team that's making a push for the playoffs. I have no idea why he would go Sprewell. It doesn't make sense and it exudes arrogance. No wonder fans get mad at prima donna athletes.

Skip 2 My Lou in Houston - photo credit Keith Allison


Paging Mr. Alston - What are you thinking?

update
Word is out that Rafer is dealing with some tough family issues and decided to focus on them after his coach told him he wouldn't be playing any more. I have no idea why the coach would do that, but Rafer admits to handling the issue incorrectly. No matter, I applaud him for saying something about the matter and wish him the very best with his family situation. And I genuinely hope to see him in the league next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment